Sarah's Reviews > Extras

Extras by Scott Westerfeld

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: teen, dystopia, novel, post-apocalyptic
Read in December, 2011

I'm not really sure what to think of the final book in the Uglies series. It's now 3 years after Tally unleashed the mind-rain and Aya Fuse is a 15-year-old living in a Japanese city that now runs on a reputation economy. Basically, the more famous you are, the more perks and privileges you are allowed. Aya's older brother Hiro is one of the more successful kickers (roughly a cross between paparazzi & legitimate journalists) and Aya hopes she can use kicking as her path to fame as well. When she discovers a story that's much bigger than she first expected, she is taken on an adventure she wasn't ready for and runs into characters we've met in previous books in the series.

I guess the main reason I'm ambivalent about this book is that I had a hard time figuring where the story's going. Aya's an annoying character, constantly obsessing about how she can get more famous, but Tally was annoying in the beginning of Uglies, too, so I thought that the book was going to be about her changing. Only it wasn't really. Then I thought maybe the book would be about showing how the reputation based economy was just as bad as the Prettytime. But it wasn't about that either. What it did end up being about was fine, but I felt like the real story didn't start until we were two thirds of the way through the book. Basically the plot seemed a lot more disorganized and I wasn't really sure where the story was going, and not in a good way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extras.