Hannah's Reviews > The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League International

Nov 18, 11

did not like it
bookshelves: pregnancy-and-parenting

This book is great for helping new moms get the hang of latching and positioning. That's about it.

Most moms work and many of those moms work full-time, so having an entire chapter of a breastfeeding book devoted to advocating that women NOT work is unsupportive, misogynistic and completely out of sync with the reality of breastfeeding today. If the church ladies over at the La Leche League were really trying to support breastfeeding, they'd acknowledge that working moms are the majority and provide better guidance on working while breastfeeding. Applauding stay-at-home moms for their dedication to breastfeeding and guilt-tripping working moms is totally backward. Good for you if you want to and can afford to stay home, but since it takes way more dedication to nursing to hook yourself up to a pump every two hours (and then wash your pump parts and bottles etc) than it does to just lift up your shirt and nurse, working moms should be acknowledged as the breastfeeding rock stars we are.

Also, the chapter on fathering is beyond offensive. Hey, Dad! Did you know you can take care of your baby, too? Yes, you too can participate in baby care by making your breastfeeding wife a sandwich while she breastfeeds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.

Annie Great review. My husband got a laugh out of that part too. Good to know he can always make me a sandwich or get me some water.

message 2: by DeeRae (new) - added it

DeeRae I haven't read it yet, but as a mom who brings home the bacon this is disappointing. I'm nearly 11 months into BF my first, so maybe the never ending latch advice can save me from a disastrous case of mastitis the next time I BF?