Jennifer (aka EM)'s Reviews > Three Day Road

Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden

Nov 18, 2011

bookshelves: war-is-hell, maple-flavoured
Read from July 07 to 14, 2013

This is two of my favourite reads: a "futility-of-war" novel by a Native Canadian writer, and with a unique Native Canadian angle.

Xavier and Elijah are Ojibwe-Cree from "the North Country" (which in this case means James Bay area) who sign up for WW I, and - because of their hunting prowess - make for excellent warriors. Niska - X's auntie - welcomes a deeply changed X home, and does what she can to help X cope with all he has seen, suffered and lost.

The novel is about killing and healing and incredible, profound, spirit-driven love. Of the boys for each other; of Niska for her would-be sons, and for X in particular. Love and bonds that are forged in one kind of trauma and tested in another kind of hell. Of a way of life that is lost to all kinds of wemistikishiw slaughter and madness; of transition between one way of life and another, physical, cultural, spiritual.

Though I am not a masochist, both types of novels - the war novel, the Native Canadian novel - cause great pain and therefore they often feel cathartic, cleansing in some way. But more: like an atonement for my privileged whiteness and the luck of the draw time and place-wise.

This idea of privilege - and how it factors into reading choices - is an interesting one to me these days (as I look at my bookshelves stacked to the brim with female authors; goodreads having made me more acutely aware of gender aspects of writing and reading).

Boyden, with his sensitivity; his writing that contains such depth of raw emotion; his male-femaleness/female-maleness (as Woolf would say) - has pride of place next to Erdrich, Thomas King and Richard Wagamese; and novels like Marlantes' Matterhorn, Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five, Findley's The Wars and Wright's Meditations In Green.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Day Road.

07/07/2013 marked as: currently-reading
07/15/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo just ordered this from the library.

Jennifer (aka EM) you'll probably get to it before I will!