Richard Thompson's Reviews > The Dog of the South

M 50x66
Nov 18, 2011

bookshelves: humor
Read in November, 2011

We were introduced to Charle's Portis' work through the Coen Brothers' new movie based on his book TRUE GRIT, and all the while I was reading this one I kept thinking: Pure Coen Brothers...

Except for the fact that he is too old, Steve Buscemi would make a perfect Ray Midge. Jeff Bridges (think the Jeff Bridges in TRUE GRIT rather that the Jeff Bridges in THE BIG LEBOWSKI) would be a great Dr. Reo Symes.

Ray Midge's wife Norma has taken off with her former husband Guy Dupree and Midge is determined to track them down. He wants his wife back but he also wants the car they stole. The trail leads from Arkansas to Mexico to British Honduras. In Mexico he connects with Dr. Reo Symes who is on his way to Belize to see his mother and to try to get her to sign over the deed to an island she own is the Louisiana bayou. Along the way, Symes talks and talks and talks about his schemes and dreams. (The screen play would probably show us snippets from some of these.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dog of the South.