Mike's Reviews > The Somnambulist

Jul 12, 08

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended to Mike by: Ratscoat, Joe, EVERYONE EVER
Read in July, 2008

Wow. First, they've upgraded the system here on Good Reads, and I like it.
Second, Wow, this book is amazing so far. I hope that all my theories as to what is happening are un-true since I think the things I'm thinking are rather predictable and this seems to be a very unpredictable book. Oddly written, Oddly paced. Filled with Odd characters and Odd occurances. I love it so far. I'm thirty pages in and have not wanted to throw it against a wall at any point(This is according to "The Vengence Scale" of reading. The scale works as follows: "If a book makes you want to throw it against the walls within the first thirty pages, stop reading it").
Everyone I know should read this.
OK, I just finished it. I have to say, it was weird. It took me about a month to read, but there's been alot of stuff going on and a couple of other great books that I've read at the same time, so it's not because it's not a good book, it's just really weird. You keep waiting for things to be explained clearly and sometimes it never happens. Some things do get nearly exlpained and all but spelled out for you, but not totally spelled out so you still can figure out stuff that maybe other people didn't think of. Yeah, that's an odd sentence, but it makes sense to me. or not. But still.
It didn't stand up to the build up I guess. I was maybe not expecting more, but I was expecting something else. It was very good still, just not fantastic. Weird and kinda spooky in parts, smart and well written, but somehow it just doesn't hold up through the end. But read it before you make your decision, make up your own mind on this one, it's weird, but good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Somnambulist.