Heather's Reviews > Exploring Creation with Zoology 1: Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day -- Young Explorers Series (Young Explorer

Exploring Creation with Zoology 1 by Jeannie Fulbright

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: science, school-books-kid-books
Read in January, 2006

Well, I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't like this series, but I don't. And here are the reasons why:

1. The author likes to "chat", have little conversations with you like she's sitting right there with you. That bugged. It was confusing for my kids because I kept reading "I" but it wasn't me, it was the author. And it takes up so much stinking time. I kept thinking "get on with it - I have a ton of other things to do today!" I found myself skipping over those parts so we could just get to the "information".

2. There is a TON of information here. Minute little details. That's both good and bad. We tried this in the first grade and most of it was just too advanced for them. I can see that this might work as they get older though.

3. The activities she recommends are HUGE. Like building 2 identical bird feeders and tracking what birds visit over a few weeks. Building bird houses and several other BIG projects. I didn't have the time with a toddler and a preemie newborn. We kept skipping over stuff and I felt we weren't really understanding because we didn't have that reinforcement it would have provided. And dad didn't have time to help either.

I think the book is beautiful. Wonderful pictures and lovely glossy pages. It just didn't work for us. I've kept the book though and may use it again when they're a little older. Or have them read through it in middle school/junior high and do the stuff on their own.

UPDATE 2009 - We're using this for the third grade and it's working much better. I do edit out the 'chatty' junk and sometimes paraphrase things. We sometimes do the experiments and sometimes we just modify them. My boys seem to enjoy it and I've learned to loosen up and not expect perfect retention. This book (and the series) is more about gaining a love for science. I still feel it is too textbooky for my taste, but it's so difficult to get all the books I need from the library in all the subjects that I caved on science and use this, with whatever books I can find thrown in.

We will most likely finish this series and also the Real Science 4 Kids series (which I LOVE) and then use whatever science books we can get our hands on. This does the job, especially when you're in a book poor area.

UPDATE 2012 - Well, we picked it back up again. We just kept losing interest and stopping. But this time we finished!!! Towards the end, when we hit the insects, they started to enjoy it a little better. It would have been better had I timed it with spring/summer when we could actually FIND bugs. Overall it's a good book. Not my favorite, but it does the job.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exploring Creation with Zoology 1.