Nikki's Reviews > The Fellowship of the Ring

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

Sep 15, 09

bookshelves: classics, favourites, fantasy
Read in September, 2009

It's been a long time since I reread Lord of the Rings, but it felt like time, with a lot of things reminding me of it lately. The last straw was reading about Ursula Le Guin's thoughts on it in Cheek By Jowl. Since the last time I read it, I've heard a lot of hard words about LOTR -- about the terrible writing and the terrible pacing and the xenophobia and the lack of moral grey area and all of that, and reading it again I notice faults in it that I'd never have admitted when I was younger, but I also remember all the ways I think people are wrong about it. However, an overview of the trilogy can wait! For now, I'll review The Fellowship of the Ring alone.

It starts off very slow, set in The Shire, giving us a glimpse of the peaceful happy life that Bilbo longed for so often during The Hobbit, and building up the tension slowly. Slowly seems to be the key word in this book, in fact. I forgot that it takes the whole first 'book', which probably has almost as many words as The Hobbit, to get as far as Rivendell. One thing you can't accuse Tolkien of is rushing. A lot happens in that time, really, including the introduction of the Nine and of Strider/Aragorn, which is important... but it's such a small step, The Shire to Rivendell, that some people dismiss it as pointless. I can't see as much point in the part with the Old Forest and Tom Bombadil... it feels like a digression, as if Tolkien is in love with his world and wants to show us more of it. I like that part, but I can see why people don't.

The second half of the book feels more purposeful. Frodo learns more and knows more clearly what he's going to have to do, and we learn about the Company. And then -- eventually -- they get under way. I suppose that really they don't do that much more in the second book -- in the first book there's the Shire, the Old Forest, The Prancing Pony, and Weathertop, and in the second book there's Rivendell, Caradhras, Moria, Lothlorien and the Anduin. But things feel more imperative and desperate, I suppose. And things keep speeding up from here.

I can't decide what my favourite part is. The Lorien part is beautiful, but obvious. The Moria part is dark, but I think maybe I like that best because of Balin, and in honour of Gandalf. My favourite characters are... hmm. Gandalf, Sam and Aragorn, probably, although it's nice to see Bilbo again. And I wish we knew more about Glorfindel, actually -- that he'd gone with the company, or something, because I think more could've been done with him. He appeared and disappeared quite quickly.

In any case, yes: I can see the flaws in the writing, and I'm beginning to see what's meant by the xenophobia -- I missed that, through not being a very subtle reader when I last read it, I think. I didn't look beyond the face value. But I still do love the writing -- it tastes nice, which is good enough for me -- and the rest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fellowship of the Ring.

09/12/2009 page 0
0.0% "Time for a reread! I've been looking forward to this for a while."
09/13/2009 page 86
16.2% "The start is, if possible, slower than I remember."
09/14/2009 page 163
30.7% "Tom Bombadil! I do like this bit. My mum hates it, I think. But I do like it."
09/14/2009 page 198
37.29% "Hee, it's nearly time to meet Aragorn."
09/14/2009 page 259
48.78% "Eee Strider! Nearly finished the first book."
09/15/2009 page 287
54.05% "Finished Book I. Now for Rivendell!"
09/15/2009 page 357
67.23% "Oh Frodo. You really don't understand what you just let yourself in for."
09/15/2009 page 421
79.28% "Oh Balin. You deserved so much more story."
09/15/2009 page 463
87.19% "Lorien! I used to adore this chapter, except for the part about Gandalf being gone."
09/15/2009 page 499
93.97% "So near to the end of this book! I forgot how slow the first book seems."
09/15/2009 page 546
100% "Oh Frodo. Oh Sam."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robert I can't agree that Lord of the Rings lacks moral grey areas.

Nikki I never said it did! I'm simply postponing my comment on that misconception until I've reread all of it. Even this book, one at least is obvious -- Boromir.

Robert I find myself in disagreement with views you mention in your reviews that are not necessarily your opinion, quite often. You should know that by now. :-)

The thing is, those views you mention having come across elsewhere often seem so indefensible that I find it essential to demonstrate that I don't concur with them!

Nikki With this one I felt quite tempted to link to the culprits, but as I spent quite enough time discussing them with my flatmate, I felt I'd leave them in peace...