Nikki's Reviews > The Silver Chair

Nov 21, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: classics, fantasy, children-s-and-ya
Read in November, 2009

The last two books are definitely not in line for my favourites. There are various factors -- one of which is simply that I don't like seeing Narnia come to an end! But the main one is that I don't find Jill, Eustace and Puddleglum that compelling as main characters. Or Rillian, for that matter, even though he's Caspian's son. They're quite realistic and human, and lack the nobility that Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy have, I think. Perhaps too realistic. I want to kick Jill a lot of the time for making excuses and not doing what she knows is right. Nobody else is much better. Puddleglum is an interesting idea for a character, but I don't find him that compelling.

It doesn't help that this book is fairly dreary. Snow, stone, cold, giants, underground, sunless seas... there are some beautiful, beautiful sections, like the description of Bism, and little gems about Narnia, like about how serious it is to ask a centaur to stay for the weekend. Overall, though, I find it hard to get into and sympathise with the characters.

I do find myself tearing up, even now, at Caspian's death and renewal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Chair.

Nikki That'd be good to see!

(Did you see my reviews of Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn Treader? They're up too. I got busy reading, yesterday! Five hour train journeys are good for that.)

Nikki They are my favourites! I've now reviewed all of the Narnia books, yay.

Sophy you should read The Horse and his Boy too sometime(if you haven't already!)
i'm keeping my fingers crossed that that'll be the next movie they decide to film.

Nikki I've read all the Narnia books many times.
That'd be interesting.