Heather's Reviews > Among the Forest People

Among the Forest People by Clara Dillingham Pierson

Jun 05, 08

bookshelves: school-books-kid-books, read-alouds, science
Read in May, 2008

This is one of the best books we've read thus far. It is a series of animal stories and each story tells a little bit (or a lot) about the habits and characteristics of a different animal. They all talk so if you don't like talking animals then don't read these.

Each story also has a subtle moral like obey your parents, don't gossip, pride can get you in trouble, etc.

This is truly a "living book", as Charlotte Mason would say. It was so well written (a bit old-fashioned though) and taught so much in such an engaging and simple manner. At the end of the chapter I'd ask them what they learned about a particular animal and they'd have lists of things. And they've remembered it and continue to make observations based on what they learned.

We read a chapter a day and then we'd look online to find an actual picture of the animal we had just read about. We tried to find video clips as well.

We're currently reading another book by this author "Among the Night People" and are really liking that. We plan on reading all her books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Forest People.