Abby's Reviews > If I Fall

If I Fall by Kate Noble

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: romance
Read from April 15 to 18, 2012

Imagine if Sally met Harry when he was 13. And they were friends. And then there was some time apart. And then they re-met as adults. This is pretty much the plot of If I Fall.

What I loved most about this book is how both Sarah and Jack learned, challenged, fought against and negotiated their beliefs about change and expectation. Both had certain expectations from the other based on their childhood friendship and much of the conflict was centered around how people change ... to a certain extent. The essential goodness within each character hadn't changed, though specifically for Sarah it had been covered up by a protective shell of society's top Mean Girl.

Sarah and Jack not only had to work with their feelings and expectations about each other, but also in regards to their own lives. Sarah just wants security; marriage and a family. When she's dumped by the hero of book #2 during their engagement party, the proverbial rug is ripped from under her. For Jack, the decomissioning of his ship after the wars leaves him not only without income, but without the career he had long planned for. Both characters also have to figure out their own issues regarding change before they can figure out how to be together.

The only downside of this novel was the weird little side mystery about Burma. I get that the series is based on a spy, and it was fun to see how that got interpreted here, but the rest was distracting from the heart of the book: Sarah & Jack.

This is a quieter romance, more given to introspection than action, but it felt very real and very compassionate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Fall.