Alexia's Reviews > The Secret Story of Sonia Rodriguez

F_50x66
Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading

Paragraph 1:
The title of my book was The Secret Story of Sonia Rodriguez. The author of my book is Alan Lawrence Sitomer. The date that my book was published was on September 30th 2008 by Hyperion Book CH. The genre of my book is the biography of Sonia Rodriguez which is a non-fiction. My book won one award which was the award of Florida Teens Read Nominee of 2010. The book of The Secret Story of Sonia Rodriguez has 312 pages. I was so interested in this book that it didn’t take me as long. I read it in between 2 to 3 weeks. Well, the main character of my book was Sonia Rodriguez. The supporting characters were her mother and father. Also her younger siblings. The setting of my book was in California.
Second paragraph:
The setting of this story was in California beginning of September because Sonia was just starting school. The “good guy” or in other words in this book “the good girl” was Sonia. She was the one that would basically do everything around the house. Cook, clean, and take care of mostly her whole family. She was like a second mother to her younger siblings. Some choices that the character had to make were not to fall in love with this boy that she met. He worked at a pet store and Sonia had came in to see this cute dog and started thinking that he was cute but knew she couldn’t fall in love. The major conflict was that Sonia was made to go to Mexico and didn’t want to leave because she started t like the guy from the pet store. The “bad guy “in this book was her uncle Ernesto. He was also insulting Sonia’s brother and never did anything good to help the family. The other characters were Sonia’s father; he was always there for her and also her mother which was never helpful because she would just stay home.
Third paragraph:
The theme of the story was that no matter what people say don’t let it get to you. There are some people who don’t want you to achieve your dreams. The message was even though you there are some people who don’t believe in you show them that you can accomplish everything you set your mind to. Sonia as the character shows that she has the potential to achieve her goals because she isn’t letting anyone get between her school works. Even though her uncle always tries to put her down it never gets to her because she’s strong and confident about herself. One decision that Sonia mad that I disagreed with was that her uncle wanted to abuse her and she didn’t say anything to her parents. I think she should have told somebody instead of keeping it t herself. Their actions help us because sometimes it shows us the wrongs from the rights. It shows us how we need to handle some things so that they won’t get worst afterwards.
Fourth paragraph:
The thing that I liked about this book was some things can be related to me and my family. Some were coincidence because some things that happened in the book happened to me. Mostly I liked that Sonia stood strong during this whole book. She had to go through obstacles and didn’t have a problem doing everything on her own. Something that I didn’t like was that she was only getting the support of her father and not the rest of her family. She was actually trying to be someone in life and her family wasn’t realizing it.
Fifth paragraph:
I would really recommend this book to teenage girls. The reason for this was because the story was mostly about this teenage girl with her family. It shows how to handle things sometimes and some girls might be going through the same. Some could even relate to this and know that they weren’t the only ones going through it. This book talks about great experience and many people can enjoy this book. There are some disturbing readings and some very serious talk but it helps to learn things. I really recommend this book to teenagers, you might not be interested but it’s worth giving it a try. Maybe later you might realize that it was a good book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Story of Sonia Rodriguez.