Laura's Reviews > This is Not a Test

Jul 22, 12

bookshelves: zombie
Read from June 28 to 30, 2012

4.5 Stars

They don’t tell you how you will float through days. You autopilot, here but not really here, sleepwalking, and then every so often you are awake.”

After some time and several revisions, I have decided my voice in typical review fashion will add nothing new to the many beautiful reviews out there for this book. I dived into This is Not a Test knowing very few details and perhaps that is the way to go. I don’t know. I do know I LOVED this book. Courtney Summers got in my head. This story got under my skin. So I am just going to leave this tidbit and call it a day. :)

This is Not a Test brought on my very first book inspired nightmare in a very looong time. Growing up with a love for horror, I got my nightmares over with pretty early. Haha….Stephen King stories in middle school will do that to a kid. It takes something special to scare me in fiction and film now. Real life is another story.

But yes, I had my first “pounding-on–the-door-boo” dream after spending time in this world. Have you ever jumped awake with overwhelming fear pumping through your blood convinced that someone was banging on your door or just in your face yelling BOO? Haha…I love it! That heart pumping terror in the night is like a drug for horror addicts and this book brought one hell of a dose and fix my way! Makes me smile just thinking about it. I guess the way to my scare bone now is a quiet intensity made up of dread, terror, and loss that creeps up on me. Not a bloody attack that I see coming. My defenses were down and Summers just crept on in.

So go, GO read this book. This story and characters will haunt you. It made me ask and wonder:

What keeps me alive now? What would keep me alive if all that was gone?

What would keep me alive and fighting at the end of the world?

Sweet dreams.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This is Not a Test.

06/28/2012 page 27
8.0% "“This must be what Dorothy felt like, I think. Maybe. If Dorothy was six scared teenagers and Oz was hell.”" 2 comments
06/29/2012 page 117
36.0% "Wow! I mean….WOW!" 5 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam So glad you loved this one too, Laura! Great review! :)

Jasprit What a wonderful review Laura! I'm so glad you had fun reading this! :)

message 3: by J (new)

J Interesting questions to ponder . . . May have read this one!

message 4: by Cara (new)

Cara Oh goodness gracious Laura! I'm too much of a wuss to handle things like this. You aced the review;)

Laura Thanks, Ladies!

A book I will not forget.

Janfra—Please let me know if you pick it up. Summers has such a strong voice.

Hi Cara! Hehe…”wuss”—such a great word! And no, you read scary stuff all the time! :)

♥Rachel♥ I love horror flicks too, Laura. Like a moth to the flame because I would always get nightmares, still do sometimes. I really need to pick this up! (view spoiler) Wonderful review! :)

Laura Hi Rachel! Thanks. :) Haha….I can’t answer THAT question. Get out of here! ;) (view spoiler) Have fun! Very powerful read. Can’t wait to hear what you think. :)

♥Rachel♥ Ahh woman! You're killing me! Okay, okay...I know, read it myself! :)

Hey, I haven't been getting any notifications! What about you? I've just sent a few book read-long comments to you. Still want to get the smutty trio (I guess there's a few more than a trio now, but I just like the way it sounds!) together for a read? I can start something tomorrow. ;)

message 9: by Laura (last edited Jul 23, 2012 08:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura Ugh! No—I haven’t seen anything! Sorry. Just give me a shout out if you guys found something good! I’m up for anything! Haha…Maybe PM though. I feel like I have missed a lot of comments.

message 10: by Eunice (last edited Jul 23, 2012 09:04AM) (new) - added it

Eunice LOL! Your love for horror flicks is making me laugh, Laura! I'm glad you enjoyed this! Great review! :D

message 11: by Cara (new)

Cara Laura wrote: "Thanks, Ladies!

A book I will not forget.

Janfra—Please let me know if you pick it up. Summers has such a strong voice.

Hi Cara! Hehe…”wuss”—such a great word! And no, you read scary stuff..."

You give me too much credit Laura:) I haven't been getting notifications either:( I saw this on the update feed. Oh goodreads why?!?

Laura Hi Eunice! Thanks. LOL! Horror is the way to go! ;)

@Cara—I know “Grrr” at GR today. I feel like I’ve left things unanswered and gossip left unsaid. Haha…. :o