Tessa's Reviews > Leviathan

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi, favorites, steampunk, gender-bender, want, alternate-history
Read from June 01 to 06, 2012

This was my first real experience with steam punk. With all the descriptions of machinery and all the beasts I see the visuals transferring well to movie form, but they were kind of hard for me to visualize.

Alek's character was static and more often than not he was just used as a device to further the plot by him getting everyone into a scrape. Deryn is fun and I like Dr. Nora. Both Deryn and Alek seemed to be younger than what their ages would suggest. They felt more like 13-14 than 15-16.

I have to commend Westerfeld for his creation of the Darwinists. I was sceptical. A flying whale airship? I can accept that in Dr. Who, but in WWI Europe? But Westerfeld pulled it off convincingly with the ecosystem of fabricated creatures. It was quite interesting and I want to know what's in the eggs.

The illustrations really added to the book. They gave me a feel for the characters and conveyed the flavor of the world. and my imagination needs material to work with in this new genre of steam punk.

I'm excited to read the next book. I didn't know how Westerfeld would handle his alternate history, you can't just have your characters stop WWI from happening, that's much too big a change. Westerfeld kept the characters a small part of the world wide conflict without making them insignificant. He set up for book two in a way that leaves you anticipating the next installment but satisfied with this completed part of the story.

Leviathan was good, but it didn't blow me away. A solid 3 and a fun adventure.

**Upon reading the sequel and getting sucked into the world of the novel for a few hours of enjoyment I am amending this to a 4 star book.

**I've updated my rating to a 5 star book. It just keeps getting better.

See another review of the book at my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan.