Donna McBroom-Theriot's Reviews > Sophie's Turn

Sophie's Turn by Nicky Wells

Nov 18, 11

Read in October, 2011

Book Quotes:
Well, if it weren’t for the small matter of Tim, her actual finance’. And for the fact that Dan was a mega rock star. And for the fact that they had both drunk a little too much at the party after the big Parish gig. But he had said, ‘would you marry,’ hadn’t he, and indeed she would. In a different world. In a different lifetime. But, “yes, oh yes,” she shouted again, because he wasn’t serious, and it wouldn’t hurt to go along with the fantasy, would it?
“Yes, I am. Look, he’s a great guy. He’s kind and caring and good looking. He’s got a good job and he adores me. he’s funny. No really, he can be. You just never get to see him like that. He’s intelligent and he likes reading books. We go to the opera and we go travelling. He would never let me down. He would never betray me.”
I was breathless after this little tirade. “Will you listen to yourself:” Rachel asked, quietly. “Where is the love, the passion, the romance” Doing crazy, unpremeditated things on the hop?”
As I was bolting out of the building trying to make good time for the Tube, I bumped smack-bang into Tim trying to get into the building. He was picking me up so that I could arrive at the train station composed and in style!
“You see, I thought this was supposed to be a romantic treat,” he explained. “Telly doesn’t belong here. Instead, we’ll play Naughty Monopoly.”
“I really, really meant to pop that question over the weekend. You know, propose.” “But you know what? I forgot the ring.” He let that hang for a few seconds, trying to gauge my reaction. …How was I supposed to react to that?...”So anyway, I forgot the ring and you can’t propose to the woman you love without a ring. And so that’s why I didn’t. I thought you might like to know.”…Inwardly, I screamed…Why TELL me such a thing?
And so it came that I, Sophie Penhalligan from Newquay, changed into an expensive silky black dress and a string of pearls in the back seat of a black stretch limo outside one of the poshest hotels in the world.
We picked up where we had left off at the Royal all that time ago: gazing at each other communicating by looks rather than words.
My Review:
At first I thought how could so many misspelled words get by a proofreader and then it came to me, like a cloud floating by, that I was reading a book by author ‘across the pond’ and I was intrigued even more by the story and my good fortune to be chosen by this author to review her book. I think we read and don’t think about the author behind the story and I realized that at that moment, the reading world opened up as a place to unite authors and readers from all over the world.
This was a story that could have been plucked straight from the streets of London or small town USA. It’s funny. It is heart breaking, and it is honest.
Sophie is living life on her own terms. She has a great job at a newspaper, best friend who keeps her grounded, and a long-term boyfriend.
And, then there is Dan. Sophie has loved Dan, a member of the rock band TUSK, since she was a teenager. She first met him ten years before when she wrangled her way backstage after a concert.
Since then, life has gone on and Sophie is in a long-term relationship with Tim, who at some point, Sophie hopes will propose to her.
About the time that Tim finally gets his act together and proposes, Dan re-enters her life. Sophie soon finds herself engaged to both men and is face with the decision of figuring out who and what she needs to make her happy.
It is a modern-day romance that any girl might like to find herself embroiled. As Ms. Wells says – “find out how Sophie gets into such an impossible situation and how she turns it around”. It is a delightful “chick-lit” book; definitely one you will not be able to put down.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sophie's Turn.