Kemper's Reviews > Avengers Prime

Aug 18, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, superhero, comics
Read in November, 2011

This isn’t so much a comic story as it is a counseling session for Iron Man, Thor and Steve Rogers (Who usually goes by Captain America but is still operating under his own name after coming back from the dead.) These three were once the core of the Avengers and key players among the superheroes in the Marvel universe, but they’ve had some issues. Steve and Tony Stark had a political disagreement about oversight of super powered types that turned into a full blown civil war so things are a bit tense between them. Thor has been off dealing with his own issues and drifted away from his old friends.

But Marvel’s got The Avengers movie coming out next year so we need to start getting these guys together in some comic books pronto. When superheroes need to work out some stuff, they don’t go retreats to talk about their feelings, they get sucked into other medieval style dimensions and have to fight for their lives. That’s how the healing begins.

This was a light weight story in a lot of ways, but it’s kind of fun if you’re a Marvel fan. I liked that Tony is stuck using an old version of his armor (The one he wore in the comics of my youth and still my favorite.), and that he constantly bitches about how outdated it is. I also like that you can plop Steve Rogers down into an alternate dimension with nothing but the clothes on his back, but in about fifteen minutes he’ll have whipped much ass and equipped himself with a sword and armor as well as picking up a hot elf woman.

My favorite bit was the guys having a conversation around a camp fire about who did or didn’t hook up with a certain female super hero years ago.

Not ground breaking but does a good job of laying some groundwork for the three of them to start interacting again.
29 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Avengers Prime.

message 1: by Sesana (new)

Sesana This isn’t so much a comic story as it is a counseling session for Iron Man, Thor and Steve Rogers

God help me, but that sounds like fun.

Kemper Sesana wrote: "God help me, but that sounds like fun."

It's a good clearing of the air.

message 3: by Sesana (new)

Sesana Yeah, they kind of needed that.