Rachel Thompson's Reviews > Darcy's Voyage: A Tale of Uncharted Love on the Open Seas

Darcy's Voyage by Kara Louise

Nov 18, 11

bookshelves: historical, romance
Read in November, 2011

This book is a retelling of Pride and Prejudice, which I'd never read until just recently, so I read this book first. Based on my first impressions, I probably would have given this book a higher score, but after reading the original, I just can't justify it. While this book was enjoyable, I found the first half to the be the highlight, while the second half tries to cram in the events that happened in Pride and Prejudice while sticking the inventive plot the author has concocted, and it just didn't work for me.

Elizabeth Bennet meets a handsome stranger on a coach, but it's two years before fate brings them back together on the ship Pemberley's Promise. Elizabeth is heading to America to visit her aunt and uncle, while Mr. Darcy is traveling there to retrieve his sister after sending her away for awhile after a scandal. Elizabeth has booked passage aboard the ship in steerage, an uncomfortable place that is crammed full of people and where sickness runs rampant. Elizabeth nurses people before finally succumbing to illness herself. Mr. Darcy has a natural protective instinct when it comes to Elizabeth and offers her a proposal: marry him so that she can make use of the only free bed on the ship, the second one in his own personal cabin. As for Mr. Darcy, all he wants is to be left alone by the eligible women on the ship looking for a good match. This solution will benefit both and when Mr. Darcy returns to England, he promises to annul the marriage.

This was a wonderful premise, and I really enjoyed the voyage. I just thought the book went on a bit too long after that, when both finally return to England, and the events that actually took place in Pride and Prejudice begin occurring. While this was a great re-telling, I think I would have enjoyed the book a bit more if this was a completely original story, taking place mostly at sea, with loose ends wrapping up on land. This was an enjoyable romance with original ideas that didn't need to be weighed down by what came before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darcy's Voyage.