Kadbury(Young Readers)'s Reviews > Darker Still

Nov 18, 11

bookshelves: netgalley
Read in November, 2011

Original Post @ Young Readers

I was really looking forward to reading this one.I've always found Dorian Gray interesting and I have to say that by the time I finished reading this one I was VERY eager to read The picture of Dorian Gray(I'm pretty sure it's available for free as it's a classic)

EDIT: it's available for free! YIPPEE!!!
I absolutely loved the letter that was in the beginning of the novel!
Here it is
Copyright 2011 Leanna Renee Hieber
New York County, Municipal Jurisdiction
Manhattan, July 31, 1880
New York City Police Record: Case File 1306

To whoever should have the misfortune to review this closed—but still unresolved—case, I extend my condolences. I tell you truly that all persons involved have been insufferably odd.
All we know directly of Miss Natalie Stewart, disappeared at age seventeen, is what you will read here in what was left behind as an absurd testimonial.
Herein you shall find pertinent newspaper articles enclosed by Miss Stewart regarding Lord Denbury and his infamous portrait. There are also letters from involved parties.
I am left to conclude that everyone involved is a certifiable lunatic. Should you wish to indulge yourself and read a young lady’s foolish reveries on such highly improbable events, so be it. Should you believe any of it, I hope you have no business with the New York Police Department now or in the future.
Regards,
Sergeant James Patt
(Source:http://www.leannareneehieber.com/dark...)

This book started off pretty well.I really liked Natalie Stewart,she was just my kinda girl.She was sarcastic and her thoughts made me laugh! I say her thoughts because Natalie is mute.She can't speak and I have to say I really found the fact that the main character had some disability very refreshing! I liked getting a peek into the world of a person who can't speak.

I also liked Mrs.Northe ,she was the mother figure in this book.I loved the fact that there was a supportive adult who actually had a clue what was going on in the world of the teenager.

It was a little irritating that Natalie became so obsessed with Denbury (a.k.a the guy in the picture) when she knew absolutely NOTHING about him but I guess I can't blame her if this is the same guy who led quite a few girls to their doom in The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Even though the story was pretty interesting and I really liked the main character, I couldn't get completely engrossed in the book.I could put the book down at any moment and had to at times force myself to pick it up.I think it might have something to do with the fact that I thought the male character wasn't well developed in this book.I hardly got to know anything about his personality.
BUT....
If I would have read A picture of Dorian Gray before I had picked up this book maybe I wouldn't have needed to know anything about the main character.

Overall,I would read this one for the lovely female character and the interesting story.

My Rating:2.5-3/5
Loved the female protagonist
Couldn't decide whether to give this 2.5 or 3 so I've given it a range.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darker Still.