SJH (A Dream of Books)'s Reviews > Pantheon

Nov 18, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: for-review, adult
Read on November 24, 2011

After having loved all of Sam Bourne's previous books, 'Pantheon' was somewhat of a disappointment. That's not to say that it was bad but it just wasn't the usual thrill ride that I've come to expect from him.

I didn't connect with the main character James Zennor from the outset. After having been injured during the war, James is deeply traumatised but unable to open up to his wife who takes their young son and leaves him at the start of the book. They go to seek refuge at Yale in America and James determines to track them down. However, when he arrives at Yale he discovered a conspiracy and a secret society.

The story is set during World War II and is a definite change of pace and direction for Bourne. He tackles the unusual subject of Eugenics which I thought was original but rather too complex at times. I didn't feel anywhere near the same level of intrigue that usually grips me when I pick up one of his books and although the story did eventually get going, I still found it rather slow in places and the end quite a bit of a let down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pantheon.