Rachel's Reviews > American Gods

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Nov 17, 2011

it was ok

A little disappointed in this one. I love Neil Gaiman (I read his blog and Twitter feed somewhat voraciously) but unfortunately my admiration of his fine qualities as a person didn't quite make up for the lack of anything great in this book. There are too many characters who seem to pop up just for the sake of including another mythological figure in the narrative, and not enough substance. Pitting legendary/historical/religious/traditional figures against the modern gods of technology seemed a little prosaic, and the whole thing was, in a word, boring. The protagonists Shadow and Wednesday spend two-thirds of the book wandering around, gathering followers and trying to amass an army in order to wage war against modern consumerism. Or something. I didn't understand what I was supposed to be feeling: anger at how the values of civilization seem to have shifted from one "god" to another? Fear at some impending cultural meltdown? A renewed sense of respect for classical mythology? I don't know. All I really ended up feeling was tired after staying up too late to get the reading over with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.