Cassi aka Snow White Haggard's Reviews > Grave Mercy

Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: galleys, arc-tour, read-in-2012
Read from January 04 to 09, 2012

3.5/5 stars

This book was pure guilty pleasure read for me. It's got a abbey full of assassins, many who happen to be daughters of death himself, a prickly heroine who thinks she hates men *cough doesn't last cough* court politics, treason and arranged marriages. Seriously, how can I not read a book where a woman carries a crossbow under her dress?

If I complained about this book being a guilty pleasure read it would be like buying blue shoes and disliking them for not being green. I could say all the things this book isn't. It isn't high fantasy, in fact the magic elements are fairly minor. It isn't Melina Marchetta that makes me think and feel about the world. But it's a guilty pleasure, the type of book you're not sure you want to tell people you're reading but that you want to read anyways. It's the type of book that makes you both groan and giggle at the romance, but you're okay with that because that's what the book is going for.

Ismae took awhile to grow on me. She's a bit cold and bloodthirsty. She's also got a naiveté that frustrated me at first. She buys into the covent way too quickly without any skepticism. But she's also a young uneducated farm girl and the covent is her last hope. So it is understandable. Fortunately she grows out of the blind devotion, because let's be honest, blind devotion isn't very fun to read.

I actually liked Duval pretty quickly. He was analytical, intelligent and the most devoted brother a sister could ask for. Maybe it's my natural big sister tendency gravitating towards his big brotherness, but his family devotion warmed my heart.

This book is mainly a romance. But it happens slowly enough over the course of a book, with a plot going on around it, that I actually enjoyed it. It's not one of those immediately "Then she saw a boy and forgot that she hated men," things. Or "OOOO Pretty Girl with Pointy Knives," things. It was built over the course of the book as they worked together towards a common goal.

Maybe it just found me at the right mood. I enjoyed the historical setting, the drama and intrigue of court. It was pretty predictable, but the predictions were giggly-worthy. This book may be flawed, but it was also fun.

Many thanks to Mindy over at Magical Urban Fantasy Reads for hosting the best ARC tours around. You can check her out at http://www.magicalurbanfantasyreads.com/
If you're interested in my blog where there are reviews and more: http://galavantinggirlscout.blogspot....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Mercy.

01/04/2012 page 31
6.0% "She seems to have given herself full force to this covenant with very little doubt or thought. I know it's kind of her last hope but I just don't buy her convincing another girl of the goodness when she just arrived herself."
01/07/2012 page 137
24.0% "So far it is an easy read and has points I like (assassins! history! old gods/countries!) but I'm still not certain I find the main character that likable. She's a little prickly for my tastes and too accepting of everything she's told by the abbey."
01/08/2012 page 206
37.0% ""I am surprised that I think/feel/say ___________" - The main character. Book is doing that "I don't know myself" thing a little too much at this point."
01/08/2012 page 273
49.0% "She purrs. I feel like I just had a conversation with someone about how I felt about people purring when they are talking...."
01/08/2012 page 293
52.0% ""Then why are you so pale?" he asks which is pretty much the same conversation they had last time she did the exact same thing. Unnecessary redundancy."
01/08/2012 page 298
53.0% ""I was convenant raised" seems to be said a lot by the main character."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee haha, ohhh pretty girl, pointy knives...lol!