colleen the fabulous fabulaphile's Reviews > The Ruins of Gorlan

The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan

1209800
Mar 31, 11

bookshelves: middle-grade, action-adventure, fantasy, loved
Read in March, 2011, read count: 4

After the fourth re-read I've noticed some hiccups and glitches that I hadn't noticed before, but I still thoroughly enjoy the characters, their interaction, and the wit and humor of the dialogue.

***

Oct. 13, 2008

A pseudo-medieval adventure, sort of along the lines of Robin Hood, but following the life of a young apprentice Ranger...

I admit, the thing that first attracted me to this series was because I love the concept of Rangers thanks for Stryder in LotR. (Note I say Stryder. I always thought that character was so much more interesting before the truth of his lineage comes out.)

I was not disappointed. I ended up really loving this book, and most of the series thus far (only up to book 4 in paperback here in the States.) The characters are relatable and likable, the action is nicely paced but also matched up with some nice character moments, and a lot of dry wit. (I read a reviewer that said they didn't laugh once - but I found myself grinning wryling through most of it. Humor is so subjective, but I think if you like yours on the dry side you'll be like me and truly appreciate those subtle touches in this book.)

It's also a quick, easy read... nothing taxing, and quite enjoyable.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ruins of Gorlan.

Libby Good review - Really enjoying this - this is certainly one of the better YA series out there. I think its quite funny as well

colleen the fabulous fabulaphile Thanks. Don't think it's one of my best reviews - I think it was one of my earlier attempts.

But, yeah, I really enjoy the series. It's my second favorite after Harry Potter. :>

Libby How far in the series are you?

colleen the fabulous fabulaphile I've read through Book 6 - which is the last one available in paperback.

Books 1 through 4 is an arc. Book one stands fairly well on its own, but books two through four are pretty continuous, complete with cliffhangers. (Book 3 is kind of weak, but book 4 makes up for it.)

Books 5 and 6 are another arc, picking up a few years after the events of 1-4. 5 also ends in a cliffhanger.

Book 7 goes back in time between books 4 and 5, but I think it's a stand-alone.

Don't know much about the more recently released books.

Libby thanks that's helpful - I prefer to read a story arc in one go so its good to know where the breaks are

message 6: by Helen (new)

Helen Ouch... The Tolkienite in me is deeply hurt. "Strider," not "Stryder," if you please. :)