Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)'s Reviews > The Treachery of Beautiful Things

The Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Frances Long

Nov 17, 2011

bookshelves: arc-physical, arc-electronic, 2012, requested-for-review, from-netgalley, 4-star, age-young-adult, genre-fantasy, genre-fae, genre-paranormal
Read from May 16 to 18, 2012

An Electronic Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for review. Quotes have been pulled from an ARC and may be subject to change.

Fae books haven’t been one of my favourite reads, maybe because I’ve only read the Need series once, so I don’t know what to expect. All I know is that Ruth Frances Long has created a beautiful world, with a simple purpose. Jenny trying to find her brother who was swallowed up by the woods. The book reads like a fairy tale, and it even looks it. Look at that beautiful cover! I have seen the same model on an indie book, yet this one is surrounded with the setting of Jenny’s world. I couldn’t picture her wearing a beautiful gown until the later chapters, yet it’s still gorgeous to think she’s trolloping through the forest with flowers in her hair. I loved the fantasy elements weaved into the story. The trickery that befalls Jenny, as well as the journey she goes through to find her brother and bring him back home safely. As for the other characters, Jack is wonderful. So much depth and personality, and the struggles he must have gone through could fill up an entire book. He become the hope for Jenny. To help her succeed even if it means his own soul.

A world full of faes, Danes Vertes, Foletti, gnomes, birch-boys, pixies, and green men! What a fantastic setting! I wish there was more detail about the history of all the creatures in this world. But sadly I had to visualize my own little world so I could picture each species in its glory. There needed to be more detail. Sometimes books have this tendency to elaborate way too much detail or not enough. Sadly, this book detailed less than I would like to imagine. Good thing I can fill all those details in with my active imagination.

Being the second fae book in my reading list, I wasn’t disappointed. If you enjoy being brought into a fantasy realm full of evil faes, moving trees, and tricky pixies then pick this one up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Treachery of Beautiful Things.

05/16/2012 page 159
41.0% "What a magical world!"
04/05/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie My sister just read the book and loved it :) I really wanna read it.

message 2: by Maureen (new) - added it

Maureen I have the book , it's going to be my next read ! Now I'm finishing toads and Dimond's .

Giselle (Book Nerd Canada) @Stephanie: yeahhh do it! It was one of my faerie reads, and I hardly read those type of books

Giselle (Book Nerd Canada) @Maureen: Oohh that's a cute title :P

message 5: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie It seems like a underrated books, and underrated books are my favorites

Giselle (Book Nerd Canada) @Stephanie: for sure! I love underrated books too

message 7: by Maureen (new) - added it

Maureen Giselle wrote: "@Maureen: Oohh that's a cute title :P"

It's a cute book ,I love the title ,I was like awww then got the book .

Giselle (Book Nerd Canada) @Maureen: hehe it really is. It's rare to see Toads in a book title

message 10: by Maureen (new) - added it

Maureen It's a good read , I loved it ! I was reading it at work on my down time and I was reading it at night befor bed .