Sara's Reviews > Bright's Passage

Bright's Passage by Josh Ritter

Nov 19, 11

bookshelves: published-in-2011
Read from November 17 to 19, 2011

I liked this book so much more than I thought I would. It's much less of a story about war than I had expected and I suppose that is why I enjoyed it. It's a very quick read - not just because it's only about 200 pages long...I've read plenty of books that length that I slogged through - more because the story grabs hold of you at page one and doesn't let go (in fact, it grips tighter and tighter) until the very last page. Why didn't it get five stars, then? I guess because I felt that in the end it was a bit TOO shallow. I felt rushed along. There was so much more that could have SO easily been added to give some depth to characters and more richness overall that I was left feeling a bit cheated...like the whole idea of a novel by an up-and-coming singer/songwriter was some publishers wildly popular idea but it had to happen QUICK before everyone forgot who Josh Ritter was, so just the basics, okay? Does that sound too harsh and cynical? Probably. But the fact of the matter is, I still gave the book four stars, so no matter how skeptical I am about how the book came to be, I'll admit that it was worth the read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright's Passage.