Alanna's Reviews > The Vampire Stalker

The Vampire Stalker by Allison van Diepen

Nov 17, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own

Don’t ‘cha just hate it when a book you’re looking forward to turns out to be a disappointment?

When I first heard about this book a few months ago, I really wanted to read it - I’m not sure why. It just sounded like it would be really fun and interesting and different from other YA paranormal books out right now.

In the end, the book was entertaining but it wasn’t anything more than that and it is one that I’ll probably have forgotten I even read within a day or two.

I didn’t like the writing at all - it’s not one of those books that I find myself wanting to mark quotes from because I love the wording or because I relate to it somehow, there was nothing quotable about this book and it was very “I did this, then I did that and then we did this.” and a lot of it was filler stuff like her telling us what she was having for dinner (think Twilight writing only less purple prose).

I didn’t feel any connection to the characters at all - I didn’t love them or hate them and so I didn’t really care what happened to them and the romance was a bit…flat.

The execution of the story honestly read like cliché, mediocre author insert fan fiction (which is basically what it was only the book it was a fan fiction of only exists within the story) -- hell, the main character even writes fan fiction within the story. I guess reading the synopsis I should have guessed it would’ve felt like reading author insert fan fiction but I think maybe because it was an actual published novel I expected more, I expected it to be written better in a way that took it to another level.

The plot had some extreme ridiculous aspects to it - and I know this is fiction, but if an author writes something well enough then it will be believable within the context of the story…I’ve read books and been convinced by things like zombies and werewolves; parts of this were just not that believable.

I think it was less about the plot and more about the way it was written…like having a regular character conveniently be an expert on the very random and odd thing that happens in the book (you’ll know what I mean if you read it - the librarian). Kind of like watching a soap opera and a character suddenly has a heart attack in a restaurant but one of the other people there just happens to be a top heart surgeon who knows exactly what to do - it’s like, what are the chances? And it comes across as so planned/ridiculous.

For some reason anytime I try to think of how to say my thoughts on this book, my sentences end in eugh or meh. Other people may love this book, I can see why some people would, it just was not my cup of tea at all - good idea, bad/mediocre execution - the only really positive thing I can think to say is that it kept me entertained for a few hours but then I'm easily amused so that's not saying much (seriously: my dog spent like 15 minutes chasing the red dot from a laser pen and I thought it was silly until I realised I had spent 15 minutes completely amused just watching aforementioned dog chase the red dot from a laser pen...).

If I had to rate the book, it'd get 2/2.5 stars out of 5. Not awful, but not good either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vampire Stalker.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy I was really excited for this book too, when I first saw it. I'm a romantaholic, so I was most looking forward to the romance part. However, the story and the romance were both boring, and I also didnt care if the mc(s) died. :( Pretty sad..