Julie's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

Dec 06, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, 2011
Recommended to Julie by: Bryon, Jesse, Tina
Read from December 01, 2009 to December 05, 2011, read count: 1

I am impressed by George R. R. Martin's ability to juggle so many characters and such a convoluted plot, but it's just not a story I can "like." As a former co-worker said, "Nothing good happens in these books." I like certain characters - Ned, Bran, Jon Snow, Arya, Tyrion - but the plot is depressing as all heck and I'm not one who enjoys watching characters I like suffer. Martin pulled no punches, I'll give him that, and probably blew away the majority of readers with his choices. The world building is extensive; often nothing new, but with elements that I find interesting (dragons, zombie creatures, old magic coming out of the woods). Honestly, I could forgo most of the political intrigue crap between horrible people in favor of a whole book about Jon Snow and the Watch. So, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I kind of want to read book two, just to see what happens with the interesting bits. Too bad that also means slogging through all the crap about people I don't like.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

01/14/2009 page 361
43.23% 1 comment

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Still haven't finished it? ;)

Julie Not only have I STILL not finished it, but a couple of my friends who HAVE read the series got in a huge discussion about them at a party and so now I know that they're basically going to kill off half the characters I actually care anything about, some in horrible ways. I'm so not sure it's even worth finishing it, except that my fiance got so sucked into them and I'd really like to be able to talk about them with him. *sigh*

Shannon (Giraffe Days) That sucks. It makes it so much harder to finish a book when you know what's going to happen (more or less), doesn't it? I'd like to hear your thoughts when you finish it too. Are you enjoying it though? I really had to force myself to get through it.

message 4: by Crystal (new)

Crystal everyone says these are great, but I heard some of the awful stuff that goes on in them, and I passed. no thanks!