Michele Casper's Reviews > The Devil In Pew Number Seven

1961874
Nov 17, 11

bookshelves: memoir
Read in October, 2011

This is a fascinating true story about the lengths one small-town man (Mr. Watts), who is used to getting his way and pushing people around, goes to to drive away another man, a good man(Reverend Nichols), who feels it is his calling to stay. The story takes place in rural North Carolina, an area, interestingly enough, where our son served part of his mission, and which we were told has an unsavory reputation, even now. Reverend Nichols, along with his wife and two children, refuse to be driven out of their home and church calling, although they are terrorized by phone calls and letters, and, when that doesn't succeed, by bombings of their property. Though family members beg them to leave for their safety, the Reverend and his wife feel they have been directed by God to stay, no matter what happens. There is an unexpected twist in the outcome of the story. The true heroine of the story is Rebecca Nichols Alonzo, the daughter and co-author of the book. Her chapter on forgiveness, at the end of the book, is powerful. The person I was disappointed in was her father, Reverend Nichols. He taught his family again and again that God would protect them, but that if they were called to give their lives for the sake of the truth, that they would do so willingly and honorably. Yet when tragedy strikes, he falls apart. When his children need him to be strong, he is not there for them. It makes me wonder about myself. I know that trials and tragedy are an important part of this life's experience. Would my beliefs be challenged if I were faced with tragedy? I hope not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil In Pew Number Seven.

Quotes Michele Liked

“Forgiveness is the language of heaven.”
Rebecca Nichols Alonzo, The Devil In Pew Number Seven: A True Story

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (last edited Jan 21, 2012 06:23AM) (new)

Jack Wow. Awfully judgemental. The father had a nervous breakdown, so now you acuse him of being a deadbeat Dad? Or are you acusing him of having a lack of Faith? People are human...this guy had a congregation to shepard as well as his family, so no doubt this event took its toll. You mention a son going here on a mission, so I take it you are Mormon? That would explain the judgemental attitude. Mormons are some the of the most rigid, judgemental people around. I would suggest you don't judge this guy unless you've walked in gs shoes. Trials and tragedies are just a part of life....you shouldn't avoid them for fear of breaking apart, you should embrace all of what life throws your way, so that the veracity of your faith is tested (1 Peter 1:6-8. Also, put down that book of Mormon, and flee the LDS church..it is a false religion!

Michele Casper Point taken. I thought about it some more and have concluded that judging this man (or anyone for that matter) is impossible (having not "walked in his shoes") and unchristian, as well. I meant no disrespect to the many wonderful people in North Carolina, either.