Ana T.'s Reviews > Jane Austen Made Me Do It: Original Stories Inspired by Literature's Most Astute Observer of the Human Heart

Jane Austen Made Me Do It by Laurel Ann Nattress

Nov 17, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, regency-hist, contemporary, anthology
Read in October, 2011

When I was asked to review this book I was very excited. I love Jane Austen's books and I just can't resist reading sequels and spinoffs because I love revisiting the characters.

Jane Austen Made Me Do It is an anthology including many different stories. There are contemporary stories and historical ones. There are sequels and there are spinoffs. And there are stories about Jane Austen and her family. The fact that the stories are so varied makes it easy to appeal to readers, there's something for everyone. Maybe no one will love all of them but we will all find some to love.

I, happily, found a few. Even if historicals are my favourite genre I have also enjoyed some of the contemporaries. That has clearly something to do with my Jane Austen favourite. Stories connected or influenced by Persuasion are much more appealing to me.

The success of an anthology such as this also resides in the author's ability to write short stories. Not everyone can craft a well strutured story in a smaller format but some of the stories in this anthology are definitely winners. Without further ado, here are my favourites:

Jane and the Gentleman Rogue by Stephanie Barron
A regency mystery well done and interesting enough to make check out Barron's other boks that have Austen has chief detective. I wonder if the ain character in this storyappears in one of the others.

Jane Austen and the Mistletoe Kiss by Jo Beverley
A lovely short story, set in Austen's time and written in traditional regency style. Lovers of regency romance have a small gem in this one.

Heard of You by Margaret Sullivan
I love to know what happens to interesting secondary characters and the Crofts (Persuasion) really deserved a story of their own.

Faux Jane by RJ Meiers
What happens when a couple decides to untangle the mystery of how a snobbish actress decides to buy an "autographed" Austen book, how an english lord lets himself be conned to save her.

The Love Letter by Brenna Aubrey
A second chance story set in modern times and from a male point of view. I rather liked it's connection to Persuasion.

You might not enjoy the same ones I did but you will definitely find some stories to love. A must read for Jane Austen fans!

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Austen Made Me Do It.