Lizzy's Reviews > Birdsong

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

F_50x66
Nov 17, 11

Its a book I felt couldn't be read in one go, there was too much to take in in one sitting. The description Faulks uses is what makes it so breathtaking, it is as if he is writing from experience, and the messages it sends out are pretty deep. It also opens your eyes as to what the trenches were like in a greater depth than you get from a history lesson or films. Its shocking what lengths man has had to go through for, let's face it, not very just causes and I think Faulks illuminates this well and has it as one of the themes of the book. It has you guessing right up to the end some other questions which are insignificant in comparison to surviving the war but nevertheless are important because they show humanity does thrive even in the darkest hours and it lightens the book slightly which is definitely needed as the trench parts are hard going to read. I would recommend this book, but with caution, it does not censor anything, violence or sex wise and is rather harrowing. I will not be forgetting this book anytime soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birdsong.