Elizabeth La Lettrice's Reviews > Me and You

Me and You by Niccolò Ammaniti

Nov 19, 11

bookshelves: italy, life-journey-stories, stories-about-outsiders, italian-writers
Read from November 17 to 19, 2011

I feel guilty for rating too many books as "5's" but I've come to the conclusion that in my rating system, a book can get a 5 if I loved it so much that I wouldn't change one thing about it.

This book was so short that it felt/read like a short story. However, it was so easy to connect to the protagonist that it felt like I'd been reading about him for much longer. Much credit should be given to the author in that respect - its a clear display of talent in my opinion.

The story followed a 14 year old loner who, in order to appease his mother's desire for him to fit in, tells her that he's been invited on a ski trip with some of his popular classmates. Instead, he spends the time camped out in the cellar of his apartment building doing what he loves best - spending time by himself. Little did he know that his plan would be foiled by the unexpected arrival of his older half-sister who he has only met once.

This was truly an inspirational story that really makes you consider the unavoidable presence of unconditional love. With Thanksgiving coming up, I couldn't help but be grateful for the health of my family and luck I have for just having them around.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me and You.

Elizabeth La Lettrice I got an advance copy through Net Galley - have you ever used it? The book is really short. Should be done by tomorrow. Will let you know how it is!

Elizabeth La Lettrice Loved it! Felt like a short story, glad I didn't let this one slip by. Give Net Galley a try... Saves me a lot of money! Not to mention getting books in advance is a plus too. Also, don't feel as guilty if I don't love a book I start and decide not to finish...

Elizabeth La Lettrice Yea, I feel kind of guilty about it since I have so many 5star reviews but the truth is a book goes through some tough scrutiny before I actually commit to reading it so I wind up loving MOST of what I read. :) And like I said, I wouldn't have changed the story one bit.

message 4: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell ....for a minute I got a bit confused here about who was commenting!

Elizabeth La Lettrice Haha, me too :)