Janice's Reviews > The Sisters Brothers

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2011, canadian-connection, love-the-cover, love-the-title, the-syndicate
Recommended to Janice by: Bernice Ouellette
Read from December 17 to 23, 2011

It's so much easier to write a review immediately after finishing a book rather than a month later. Parts of it are already fading from my memory. The writing was deceptively simple and I read it so fast that I think I missed something important.

Was Eli Sisters a likable fellow? What about his brother Charlie? They were both cold-blooded killers, psychopathic even. Eli was a man looking for love in all the wrong places and wanting to reform his ways. Charlie was an extremely disturbed person, seemingly incapable of love. Yet in his own way, he loved his brother.

Sorry, I'm getting carried away here with all this lovey dovey stuff. Just when I thought Eli had some redeeming qualities, he did something so horrific, I had to wonder if I was reading correctly. Yes, he wanted to share his life with a woman, any woman, but he felt no remorse when he killed. Therein is the nature of this story - the back and forth between good and evil, likeable and hateful. The whole story was one big oxymoron.

This book had me laughing in places and cringing in others. Boring it was not. It is not a book for everyone. It is graphically violent and I cannot get some of the images out of my head.

Yet, I really enjoyed this book. I'm going to read it again to get a better perspective on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisters Brothers.

message 1: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Ouellette I think that's a good plan. I too will wait to comment until we have had our meeting. However, I will say that I very much enjoyed the book.

Janice I did as well, Bern. Good choice and I think it will generate lots of discussion.