Jessica (Books: A true story)'s Reviews > The Golden Spiral

The Golden Spiral by Lisa Mangum

Oct 11, 13

bookshelves: won, hardcover, own, tbr-2011, author-ive-met, dusty-bookshelf-2013, utah-author, 2-stars, blog, content-mild, amazon
Read from September 25 to October 02, 2013

This book is also reviewed on my blog Books: A true story

The best thing about The Golden Spiral was that it was realistic.  Time travel had huge consequences in Abby's (the main character) life.  But I think it crossed the line into being way too realistic. I felt like the plot focused on what would really happen to the point that it stopped being interesting to read about.  I didn't think the story was bad but it was not riveting, either.

The thing that really slowed this novel down was the villain, Zo.  I really just did not get why Zo was that bad guy.  He seems to have no motivation whatsoever.  He was so cliche.  When the world literally starts falling apart and the consequences start having major effects on even the villain's life, the explanation was because he wants to take over the world.  Yeah, so did Pinky and the Brain.  At least they were funny. The lame villain motivation made for a weak conflict.

Let's talk about what else made this novel slow (I wrote the word "slow" at least five times in my notes while reading this).  I mean, a slow plot doesn't always ruin a story for me if the characters are interesting, but all the characters felt very flat to me.  We know almost nothing about their past or what makes them tick and it was frustrating to me.  It takes forever for things to happen in this novel.  There was one major quest that Abby was trying to accomplish and the solution was completely obvious.  I hate it when solutions are obvious.

The romance was okay for me.  It had some cute moments, but Dante was very cheesy.  (I like cheese on my tacos, not in my romance.  I like chocolate in my romance).  Dante doesn't seem to act like a real guy in my opinion.  He seemed more like an unrealistic fantasy.  Which isn't bad.  It's fun to read about fantasy.  But I did roll my eyes at him a couple of times.

Overall, this story felt bland and slow with a villain that had no good reason to try and take over the world.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Spiral.

09/25/2013 marked as: currently-reading
10/01/2013 page 242
66.0% "Oh look. I'm not surprised at all that that happened. I am surprised that there are 100 pages left ..."
10/01/2013 page 242