Bruce's Reviews > Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness

Coming to Our Senses by Jon Kabat-Zinn

1207684
Sep 20, 08

Read in September, 2008

A wise book about being mindful and living life to its fullest, this is a book that I've read before and will read again, containing as it does so much sage guidance. It is long, perhaps being therefore intimidating to first-time readers, particularly if one reads it as one is inclined to read most books, consuming it in large gulps over several days. Instead, this should be read in tiny bites, perhaps two pages a day, slowly and carefully chewed, swallowed, and digested, maybe even reading without too much attempt being made to "understand" it rather than simply letting it sink in gradually so that it becomes a part of one's own intuitive wisdom. The basic message, and I do Kabat-Zinn an injustice to try to reduce it to a sound bite, is about paying attention, each moment, right here and right now, a radically different way to live for most of us and something with which I struggle even as I know how wise and wonderful such an approach to life can be and is. That is not the same as asserting that circumstances change as a result of being mindful, for in a real sense there is no "goal," no place to get to. Rather it is more about truly seeing and knowing what is going on moment by moment so that one can respond wisely and well.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coming to Our Senses.

message 1: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol thank you for the review, bruce. i had intuitively started this book doing just what you suggested.two or three pages per day-then i just let my mind wander for a while.

message 2: by Qi (new)

Qi Thank you for your review. I am touched by mindfulness's wisdom in "being present" instead of rushing around and trying to do too much. There is always a new book to read, a new task to perform, a million things that one can get caught up. In being competitive and "do it all", we often trap our minds in a swirling world of frantic emotions. Meditation is a method to regain our senses of self through being consciously aware of how our mind is doing.

Bruce I agree, Qi. And many times I become aware that my frenetic life is really a way of preventing myself from slowing down and taking the time and courage to look within at the feelings that are present, some of them not so very comfortable. Sages remind us that our dragons are befriended by our acknowledging and befriending them.