Nikki's Reviews > Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Dec 24, 10

bookshelves: dystopia, speculative-fiction
Read in June, 2006

Fahrenheit 451 is an interesting, depressing picture of a somewhat dystopian world. It has become, to many readers, a book about censorship, and I think that message is relevant. It doesn't matter what an author intends, once the book is out there in the world -- the important thing is what people find in it. (There's some merit in reading it the way Bradbury intended it to be read, of course -- some merit in seeing it the way he does, and seeing what messages he intended -- but this doesn't supersede, necessarily, what he didn't intend to write. Death of the author, and all that.)

His own message, that tv rots the brain and ruins everything is... only true in excess. I watched plenty of tv as a kid; I don't watch much at all now. I'd rather read the book than watch the series, most of the time. But there's some good stuff on the tv, in the same way that there's only a certain amount of the available reading material that's good. Consuming tv and consuming written literature aren't mutually exclusive, any more than reading comics means you can't read War and Peace.

Still, there's a truth in it.

I think my favourite part of Fahrenheit 451 is the end, the way in which everyone has their own book to save, and does so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fahrenheit 451.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hollis Lol, thanks for the spoiler.

Nikki Have put a spoiler flag on it. Sorry I forgot, originally.

Nikki Or, there, now I've written a proper review, since what was there before was more an aide-memoire for me than a proper review, anyway.

Hollis Yeah, doesn't matter, anyway, kind of knew what the ending was anyways.