kari's Reviews > The Next Always

2207055
Nov 29, 12

bookshelves: 2011
Read in November, 2011

What do I love about a Nora Roberts book? Just about everything.
Let's start with her characters. These are people you think you could know, chat with over beer and pizza, or coffee if that's more to your liking. She manages voices so expertly that you can hear the difference from person to person. The women sound like women and the men sound like men. No girly-sounding men to be found here. The children sound like children, but not silly-sounding or childish sounding. You know they are children, but they aren't talking baby-talk. After all they are little boys, not babies; a fine distinction, and Roberts is spot on.
Then there's the setting. Usually they are so vivid that you feel you are there. I'd love to live in this little town, dine at Vesta, shop at the bookstore, stay at the Inn or maybe just stroll down the street.
And the plot. The relationships that develop never feel forced, you never get the hint of two people being pushed together by an author when they simply don't fit together. And yes, I've read books where the relationships feel exactly like that, but that never seems to happens in a Roberts book. The interactions between the hero and heroine happen so naturally, seem to be so much a part of the characters normal behavior that you fall right into their pairing.
Beckett Montgomery and his brothers, Owen and Ryder, are fully developed characters, each with distinct traits and personalities. I like that you get hints of backstory, but not enough that the story slows to get it in and yet you know enough to get an idea of their motivations and emotional attachment to the Inn. I liked them all and their mom, their aunt, even everyone's dogs.
Clare and her three little boys were something you wouldn't think would neccessarily work in a romance novel, but Roberts manages to honor Clare's love for her late husband while hoping she will be able to fall in love again. It works.
Can't wait for the next book in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Always.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth Kari, as usual, I buy books based on your reviews!! Gonna get this one next.

Beth

kari EM wrote: "Kari, as usual, I buy books based on your reviews!! Gonna get this one next.

Beth"

Aww, thanks! I love Nora Roberts, always a fun read.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I have been wanting to read this one too. I love the cover.

kari You won't be disappointed. I love the characters in this series already. Have you read the Brides series? That's my favorite.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read the Brides series. I will have to check it out. Thanks

message 6: by Ivy (new)

Ivy Great review, Kari! I love the name Beckett. I am about to become an aunt to one!

kari Ivy wrote: "Great review, Kari! I love the name Beckett. I am about to become an aunt to one!"

Thanks. I love this series. Nora Roberts just writes such great characters and her dialogue always rings true to me.
Congratulations on the new Beckett. I love that name, too.