Wendy Darling's Reviews > Beta

Beta by Rachel Cohn

Oh...dear. Review to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beta.

07/12/2012 page 113
37.0% ""It's like he's a real live Prince of Chocolate. Delicious." --> o_O" 29 comments

Kristan (Lost Amongst the Shelves) I haven't gotten to read my copy yet but I'm really looking forward to it. I hope you like it!!!

Wendy Darling I liked the first few chapters, Kristan! Isn't the ARC cover pretty? I like the subtle sheen, and the colors are spot-on with the description of how she looks.

Look forward to comparing notes with you at some point. :)

message 3: by Sasha (new) - added it

Sasha Eep. This was an abandon for me. :-\

Wendy Darling Oh no really, Sash? Poo.

I totally owe you an email, btw. :( I'm sorry, I've been a terrible friend.

message 5: by Sasha (new) - added it

Sasha Just happy to have you back! :)

Wendy Darling Sort of...not really. But somewhat, hah. :) I know I have to peep your shelves soon to see what you've been reading!

Jen - ReadingwithPugs Glad to see you back Wendy :)

Wendy Darling Aw, thanks Jennifer. :)

message 9: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy I've been riding on a wave of dystopian fiction reads lately and some have been quite disappointing to say the least.How are you finding this one? What's the world building and writing like for this one? P.S. It is so good to see you around again. ;)

message 10: by Em (new) - added it

Em I have this sitting around, but I haven't heard much about it. I'd love to hear what your initial reaction is! xoxo Missed you!!

Katherine Glad that your back wendy, I always like looking at what your currently reading as we always have such similar tastes :)
How are you finding this novel?

Wendy Darling I'm only a few chapters in, Tammy--I suspect this will be dystopian/sci-fi lite. I don't mind that as long as something else is compelling, though. Thanks for the welcome back!

Em, I am a little uneasy that Sasha DNFd it, but I liked the first few chapters well enough! We shall see, we shall see. :) I've missed you, too. I have a lot to catch up on.

So far, so good, Katherine. Too early to tell, really, but I don't have any negative vibes. And thank you! I always enjoy comparing notes with you, too. :)

message 13: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily Very curious to see your thoughts on this one. I have had my eye on it.

Wendy Darling The first 100 pages or so were just fine, Lily. A few things gave me pause, but I just came across one description (the "Prince of Chocolate" one) that does make me wince a bit. Still, I hear the second half is where it gets good, though!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker I don't have anything to say about the book, I'm just glad to see you back. I missed you on here.

Wendy Darling ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

message 17: by Purcheria (new)

Purcheria Oh Wendy. It is so good to see you here again. You were really missed. I was hoping that you hadn't given up on us completely. I do have this book on my to-read list and I will be waiting for your review to determine how long to wait to pick it up after it comes out.

Wendy Darling Aw sweetie--thank you so much. I'm trying to be here more, though all the drama still makes my head hurt so much.

I hear the second half of the book is where things really get going, Purcheria, so I'm hoping things pick up soon!

message 19: by Kaye (new) - added it

Kaye Wendy! If I could, I'd give you a hug right now. And I'm reading this right now, too, so I can't wait to see what your final take on it is!

message 20: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra Nothing to say about the book, sorry. But me too, I missed you. I'm sorry about all the stupid drama and hope you're doing okay.

Wendy Darling Ooo, that's fantastic--I only have one friend who has read this so far, Kaye, so I look forward to comparing notes at some point. And thank you, I'd gratefully accept the hug if I could.

I appreciate that so much, Alessandra. It hasn't ended by any means, as I'm sure you're aware, so it's still hard to muster up the enthusiasm to actually write reviews. It's been nice to at least chat with friends here and there, though. Thanks for the sweet note. ♥

Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) OOo How are you liking this one? I have it on my shelf, but I am not sure if I want to read it lol.

message 23: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Oh how I hate this book. It made me take a break from ya dystopian books. I just can't deal with them any longer.

Wendy Darling It started off just fine, Damaris, but more and more details keep rubbing me the wrong way, so...I'm not sure if I want to finish it. I'm torn, though, because other people say the second half is better.

Sharon! Are you going to write a review? Now that I'm 150 pages or so in, I'm not really as into it. I do think other readers will probably like this one better than I do, but it's losing me with its Prince of Chocolate nuttiness.

Wendy Darling Same here, Lux. :/ It's really too bad, it was a promising premise. This review should be fairly easy to write, though, so I'll try to get it up soon!

Ringo The Cat I also read it, and have a review ready, but this is one of the first times that I get an ARC so far away from the publishing date. Don't know whether I can post that review already? I've onlu scheduled it for October now. BTW, I also only have it in the "it's OK" department of goodreads I'm afraid :-(

message 27: by Julianna (new) - added it

Julianna Helms WENDY!!! YOU'RE BACK!!!!!

*tackle hugs* *blows on trombone* *realizes she does not know how to play the trombone* *belts it anyway*

Yayayayayayay! I know everyone said this already, but I freaking missed you so much! I keep on checking Goodreads and, I dunno, just felt kinda... hollow. Like something was missing and there's an ambiance to it that just wasn't there anymore. But now you're back and it's making my day! :D :D

I got this from ALA, and I've skimmed the first chapter. It seems pretty good so far, but as you AND Sash both didn't like it, I'm now not as eager to get to it. Which is fine, considering the number of books I have from ALA, LOL. :P

message 28: by Wendy Darling (last edited Jul 17, 2012 12:46AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Wendy Darling Hey Ringo, I double-checked Disney-Hyperion requirements on NetGalley, and they don't list any restrictions as to when you can post a review. So while publishers almost always prefer that you publish close to release date, I think it'd probably be okay to do it sooner if you really wanted to? I have an ARC from them for a March 2013 release, so they probably know there will be some reviews out there if they're circulating this early. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in rating this way--I'll look out for your review when it's posted and I've had a chance to write mine, too!

Aw, thanks Juli. I'm sort of back, and sort of not. As I keep saying, it's nice to at least be able to chat with friends about books, you know? I have a zillion PMs and comments and tweets to catch up on, but please know I read each one and I truly appreciate your support.

And yeah, I was fine with the first 100 pages or so, Jules, and then there were some squicky parts. I kept reading and the story did get better, but then it got really...offputting again.

message 29: by Neyra ♦ (new) - added it

Neyra ♦ Oh boy. This one's on my TBR, I'll be waiting for your review >.<

message 30: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks Oh dear.

Wendy Darling I should have listened to Sasha and stopped reading, honestly. I have only myself to blame.

message 32: by Heather (new)

Heather Wood Oh no, that's a shame you didn't like it. I thought it sounded really interesting!

message 33: by Neyra ♦ (new) - added it

Neyra ♦ that bad huh? o.O *shakes head*

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh?? Waiting for your review...

message 35: by Gabriela (new) - added it

Gabriela I thought this book would be nice based on the synopsis. Anyway, I'm waiting... :))

Wendy Darling I thought it sounded great, too! Let's just say that aside from the dystopian-lite thing, there were a lot of things in this book that were not to my personal taste, ladies. I can think of some readers who will probably like this a lot more than I did, though.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I see we have a love triangle again. What's with that? Will wait for your review, Wendy. Very keen to hear your take on this book. On my TBR list, but boy that list is growing! :):)

message 38: by Neyra ♦ (new) - added it

Neyra ♦ Hmm, well at least you gave it a shot, but damn shame it was a wasted one >.<

message 39: by Ann (last edited Jul 17, 2012 03:26AM) (new)

Ann I'm so glad to see you're partly back, Wendy! :)

What a bummer that yet another book I've been looking forward to bites the dust. :( Can't wait for your review.

Kelly Sierra Hmm, I wanted to read this book but for some reason,everytime I was going to add it something would stop me. Can't wait to see your review!

Rachel This one is next on my list......

message 42: by Purcheria (new)

Purcheria Noooooo! Really? Two stars? Oh well. I guess I will have to wait to et this one when it comes out. I was having high hopes for it afer reading the blurb.

Giselle I just started this one last night and really liking it so far (50 pages in) - did you dislike it from the start? Our ratings are usually pretty similar so I'm wary. O_O

Ringo The Cat I think I will wait a while before posting it. It's read, it's reviewed, and before it's posted I'll just continue on reading more books ;-)

message 45: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon I closed down my blog so I probably won't post a review. If I did it would only be on here. Honestly, I don't really have anything to say about this book. I'm glad I quit reading it after seeing some of the status updates. I can't take anymore love triangles.

message 46: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel Oh, wow, didn't see that coming. This book has an amazing promise.. I look forward to your review.

message 47: by Wendy Darling (last edited Jul 17, 2012 09:51AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Wendy Darling It's kind of a morphing love triangle, hah. I can't say more without ruining it, but the dynamic changes throughout the book. It's not really that part that bothers me, though.

Annika--thank you. :)

Rachel, I will be watching to see what you think of this!

Giselle, I was fine with the first 100 pages or so, then I wasn't crazy about some things that happened (including one particular LINE that is in my status updates), then it got really interesting, and then it lost me again. So...good luck, hah. I hope you like it better than I did!

Sharon, I'm sorry to hear you closed down your blog! I hope you'll still post reviews on GoodReads now and again, though. I've missed seeing them.

message 48: by Mark (new)

Mark Uh oh. This one is sitting on my computer via NetGalley, and I was looking forward to it. Now I'm nervous. Btw, it's great to see you back on here, Wendy. :)

Wendy Darling Well, I'm curious what you'd think of this one, Mark. I had very mixed feelings overall, and then there were some elements that I personally just found very offputting, though they may not bother someone else. Look forward to seeing what you think!

And thank you. It's nice to be talking to friends about books again. :)

message 50: by Mark (new)

Mark Cohn is a favorite of mine, so I'm curious to see what she does with sci-fi. I'll consider myself warned. :)

« previous 1