Sheila Beaumont's Reviews > The Innocent

The Innocent by Taylor Stevens

Nov 20, 11

bookshelves: adult-fiction, action-and-adventure, mysteries-suspense-thrillers
Read from November 17 to 19, 2011

Earlier this year, I was enthralled by Taylor Stevens' The Informationist, her first novel featuring Vanessa Michael Munroe. In that page-turner, Munroe was searching for a billionaire's daughter who vanished in a lawless region of Africa.

In The Innocent, set mostly in Buenos Aires, Munroe's assignment is to rescue a 13-year-old girl, who was kidnapped eight years ago, from a cult called The Chosen of God (apparently based on the Children of God cult, which the author was born into and didn't escape until adulthood). Munroe has been asked to do this by a group of childhood survivors of that same cult, and she accepts the request even though the amount they can pay her will not even cover her costs.

For me, this well-written thriller was nearly unputdownable, not only because of the action-packed, fast-paced, suspenseful story, but also because of the fascinating, brilliant, feral heroine, who, while fighting personal demons from her traumatic childhood in Africa, uses her sharp mind and lethal skills to save an innocent child at great personal risk. Munroe reminded me a bit of Lee Child's Jack Reacher, but unlike him, she is troubled by her role in the deaths of so many bad guys, however evil they were, and is subject to violent nightmares.

I highly recommend this book, and its predecessor, to all those who enjoy a really good thriller with interesting, well-drawn characters, plenty of action, and riveting suspense. You can read it as a stand-alone, but it's better to read the earlier book first so you know more about Munroe's back story. I'm eagerly looking forward to more installments of this series.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Innocent.