Nicole's Reviews > New Spring

New Spring by Robert Jordan

Jun 25, 07

Recommended for: fantasy fiction lovers with stamina
Read in January, 2005

I read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan because both my husband and best friend had read them. The best friend highly encouraged me to read the books - my husband warned me off.

The warning is not because the books are bad. The first few, actually, are very good. Great character development, interesting universe for those who love fantasy novels.

The warning is because these books never, ever, ever are going to end. Ever.

There are so far 12 books (including a prequel that came out somewhere between books 10 and 11). Each book is close to 1000 pages. I think the last six books have taken place over the book plot timeline of about a month. Seriously. One or two books may have only covered a day or two. No lie.

The books start off with just 4-5 main characters...but over time I think there become closer to 20. And everyone rates their own storyline. As the books stand now, I think almost everyone is in a completely different country on a different mission. It can get confusing for those not quite looking for that sort of depth.

Nonetheless...once you get far enough in the series you'll keep going. If for no other reason than you feel obligated. At this point, all those of us who've kept us are just praying that Robert Jordan doesn't die before finishing the series because there are so many plot lines left untied.

For those serious about fantasy fiction, these books are somewhat of a right of passage. A necessary evil.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New Spring.

message 1: by Steve (new) - added it

Steve My one wish for this series was that it would get finished before the author. It wasn't in the cards.

message 2: by Andrew (new) - added it

Andrew van der Westhuizen "...praying that Robert Jordan doesn't die before finishing the series..."

At least Brandon Sanderson finishes well

message 3: by Cullen (new)

Cullen That awkward moment the series ended.

message 4: by Caileb (new) - added it

Caileb Owens Don't die on us, man!!!

message 5: by Iain (new)

Iain You left out the fact that Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight (9&10) take place largely simultaneously