Christa Seeley's Reviews > The Evolution of Mara Dyer

Jan 15, 13

bookshelves: 2012, genre-paranormal-supernatural
Read from November 19 to 22, 2012

This review originally posted at More Than Just Magic

Michelle Hodkin is the queen of the unreliable narrator!

Generally speaking, I have mixed feeling about unreliable narrators. Sometimes I really enjoy the added dimension they give to the story, other times they drive me absolutely insane! But this one was absolutely perfect. Mara Dyer kept me guessing, throughout it all she kept me on my toes. No matter what I was reading, despite all the evidence telling me it was actually happening I could never believe anything Mara was saying and I loved the suspense of it all.

Like book one, The Evolution of Mara Dyer absolutely consumed my life while I was reading it. Every chance I got I had to sneak in more pages. On the subway, during my lunch, while standing over the oven making dinner, while brushing my teeth. Once you start reading you are overcome with an absolute need to know what happens next. The tension in the book is always dialed up the the max and it is guaranteed to get your heart pounding.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was an intense read, but I think The Evolution of Mara Dyer took the story to a new level by being super creepy. There some new characters and some new twists that kept me biting my nails, worrying about what would happen to Mara, her family and Noah. I can’t really elaborate without giving anything away. But yeah. Creepy stuff.

There were however, some problems with this book that I didn’t have with book 1. For instance there was just so much going on. I got confused on a number of occasions. The narrative wasn’t as straight forward and it was easy to get lost in all the flashbacks etc. I also didn’t enjoy the romance quite as much. I still like Noah, but I didn’t love him in the same way. He was colder, more distance and his role in this story frustrated me more than anything. But I definitely plan on continuing the series, so I hope he’ll go back to the Noah I love in book 3.

Recommendation: A thrilling roller coaster of a sequel. You’re guaranteed to fly through the pages, desperate to know what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Evolution of Mara Dyer.

11/20/2012 page 100
18.0% "I probably should have re-read Unbecoming first, since it's been a year and a half and I'm a little confused"
11/20/2012 page 208
38.0% "This story has added an element I hadn't expected. Also double points for the Hobbit reference!"
11/22/2012 page 319
58.0% "There's the tension I remember from the first book!"