Melissa's Reviews > Light in August

Light in August by William Faulkner

Nov 17, 11

bookshelves: classic-literature, didn-t-finish
Read in November, 2011

I was assigned this book in an upper level American Literature college course years ago. I read part of it, but got behind on reading before the test--so I went to several study groups, took awesome notes and read the cliff notes, etc. I promised myself I'd read it later when I had more time. So currently about 170 pages into the book I've decided to call it good. I don't mind Faulkner's writing--cleaver use of words, great visual description. I don't mind stream of consciousnesses in some degree--but some this was hard to follow. I enjoyed the introductions to the characters and could see that the story might be good. Then the book just starts wandering. I don't need to read about violence and sexual escapes either. I just reached a point where I have to ask myself some questions about the use of my time: Does reading this book uplift me as a person? Does this book teach values that I find important or give me a valuable insight into others lives? Do I feel good while reading this? Am I enjoying this as a form of entertainment or acquiring a knowledge? I decided that I was answering "no" to too many of these questions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light in August.