Laura's Reviews > Obedience

Obedience by Jacqueline Yallop

Feb 02, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, e-books, hf-world-war-ii, historical-fiction, read-2011
Read from November 17 to 18, 2011

This copy was kindly sent by NetGalley.

This is the story of Sister Bernard and her love affair with a German soldier during World War II.

Sister Bernard was obliged to face war's endurances since the convent where she used to live was abandoned and she was left behind with three elderly nuns.

When she meets the passion oh her life, her beliefs are shaken.

In the meantime she has to face the challenge of surviving in a rural village in the South of France during the German occupation and being a French citizen.

Even if the author makes use of writing in the past and in the future, the reader is avid to know what will happen with poor Sister Bernard whose only sin was to seek their happiness.

A very say but touching story, which deserves to be read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obedience.

11/17/2011 page 127

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Is the publisher requesting that the reviews be withheld until then? I do not know whether to even try it!

Laura Chrissie wrote: "Is the publisher requesting that the reviews be withheld until then? I do not know whether to even try it!"

yes, it's a condition given by the publisher.

message 3: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie OK, I have been considering reading this book. Do you recomend it for me? I am worried that it will be too religious in subject matter......

Laura Chrissie wrote: "OK, I have been considering reading this book. Do you recomend it for me? I am worried that it will be too religious in subject matter......"

yes, the subject is quite religious but written in a very sensible way.

message 5: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Yes, it is religious, or yes you recommend it for me? I would appreciate your help.

Laura Chrissie wrote: "Yes, it is religious, or yes you recommend it for me? I would appreciate your help."

it's religious. I just gave 3 stars to this book....

Laura Changing of subject: do you know about this link?

Lit2Go