Sarah (Tail-Kinker)'s Reviews > The Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition

The Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition by R.A. Salvatore

Nov 17, 11

Read in November, 2011

My very first Forgotten Realms read.

I enjoyed it although I felt it could have been better.

Again, I think I judge authors too harshly after being spoiled by the Malazan series. Will I ever get over that?

Drizzt Do'Urden, what a great character! I can see why he is loved by so many. His wise advice can be used in real life and is a metaphor for not judging people by what lies on the outside, but instead for their actions and what's inside.

At times I had to chuckle, because I could almost see the progression of the characters as PC's in a D&D game. Whoops! Rolled a 1 on that attack. Learned a couple of new feats...gained XP...leveled up and now have even more cool abilities! That didn't detract from my enjoyment of the tale at all.

Fun reads and definitely entertaining and I'm happy to learn more about Forgotten Realms too as more knowledge would be useful for the current module D&D 3.5 game I'm playing.

All in all, a fun rollicking adventure romp with some morality & life lessons for good measure.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cory (new)

Cory I'm actually surprised to see you rate them that high. I haven't read them, but imagine them to be largely nostalgic of the modern archtypes. The only dnd series I've read was the dragon chronicles, I'd be intertrested to know if you found them better or worse than those. Dragons of Autumn Twilight (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1)
They're a fun read but the fantasy is so "high fantasy" it feels more like a play than a novel sometimes.

Sarah (Tail-Kinker) Haven't read the dragon chronicles yet but they're on my list! Ack.

To me it almost read as if someone had taken a D&D adventure and fleshed it out enough to make a novel for others to read.