StoryTellerShannon's Reviews > Next

Next by Michael Crichton

Mar 31, 14

bookshelves: books-reviewed, fantasy-scifi, my-very-best-reads, owned, thrillers
Read in January, 2011

Fast paced story with a ton of subplots that plays like a popular soap opera of your choice. Topics range from legal battles over human tissue (including the right to have bounty hunters go after the descendants of said tissue), transgenic apes, one transgenic parrot (that talk tough if provoked), biotech espionage vs. competitors, gene patenting, and a lot of angry people.

There's some scientific info woven into this tale as well but not too much yet I still learned about some new things like chimeras and how close animals and such are closer to us than we want to admit. Tons of moralistic questions and ones that should concern us as we aren't terribly far from this possible future. Although the book is long the chapters are short with cliffhangers so it flows nicely. The ape kid is one of the best top four characters in this novel.

CHARACTERS/DIALOGUE: B plus to A minus; STORY/PLOTTING: A; HOTNESS OF SAID TOPIC AND FUTURE DISCUSSION: A; NEW WORLD EXPOSURE: B plus; WHEN READ: October to January 2011 (review formatting change 8/23/2012); MY GRADE: B plus to A minus.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Next.