Stephen's Reviews > The Litigators

The Litigators by John Grisham

Nov 25, 11

Read from November 17 to 25, 2011

As a John Grisham fan , I was surprised to hear some early criticism of his latest book. However, as I got deeper and deeper into the story, I am starting to understand. This story has much more humor in it than many of his previous books ......and that's good not bad.
One can't help but chuckle at the law firm of Finley & Figg. They are the epitome of the storefront, ambulance chasing,divorces and DUI small time lawyers. They have never been very successful and they are just about able to pay their bills each month. Besides the two of them they have a 'do everything' secretary,Rochelle Gibson. Actually there is a cautious 'detente' amongst all the players until 2 things happen that may change the lives of all of them. First of all, Wally Figg finds out about what may become a major class action lawsuit over a drug called Krayoxx. The drug allegedly helps lower cholesterol but may in fact being causing people to die of heart attacks. And the second event is the landing of one , David Zinc on their doorstep. Zinc has been a successful associate of a big downtown law firm when he has a complete meltdown. He is sick and tired of the corporate life and decides to 'dropout'. He spends a day at Abner's bar getting wasted and when he decides to leave, he doesn't know where to go......going home and explaining this to his wife doesn't seem like to thing to do. When he finally gets into a taxi, he notices a billboard sign for the law firm Finley & Figg and he tells the driver that that is his destination. And all the elements of Grisham's latest book are now in play. How will the law firm of Finley & Figg and their new associate handle the growing class action suit against Varrick?? How many victims can they sign up to represent and will they be successful?? None of them has actually tried a case before a judge !
Please enjoy Grisham's latest legal saga with a generous dose of humor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Litigators.

11/17/2011 page 112

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephen Thank you Winston.....I think some people missed the humor in this one

Lisa Diane I am enjoying it! I'm expecting for it to turn intense..Grisham style. we will see....

Stephen It is a little different than what one expects from Grisham but still well written and certainly touches a topic often in today's news reports.

Stephen Thank you Dwayne.....glad you liked the book!

Stephen Thanks Eva...it gets even better towards the last third!

Stephen Thanks Nick , I appreciate it. I still think this was one of his best books

Stephen Thanks Jean......after a number of OK ones, this book was one of his better ones.

Katie Winkler I agree. I like the humor.

Stephen Thanks Katie....I think some of the early reviewers missed the humor in the story.