Jen's Reviews > Horns and Wrinkles

Horns and Wrinkles by Joseph Helgerson

Jun 11, 08

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in June, 2008

I had such high hopes for this book: great art, fantastical characters, and a whimsically bizarre plot. (side note: wouldn't "whimsically bizarre" be a great band name?) In fact, I can't quite put my finger on what went wrong; I just found the story boring. I struggled about halfway through before moving on to more interesting material. I suppose the main character just didn't "hook" me; this came across as more of a read-aloud-to-your-kids-at-bedtime story, with little emotional depth or character development.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horns and Wrinkles.

Jill Jen,
I just finished reading Horns and Wrinkles. I'm so glad someone agrees with me.
I'm about to write my review, but it's like you said, boring in the middle. I nearly put it down, but I paid for the book. I read two or three other books, before picking it up again.
Then it picked up my interest, again, about 3/4 of the way through. The ending let me down, again. I never really cared for most of the yucky characters, and didn't know Claire's family well enough to care for them, either.
Jill Vanderwood

message 2: by Keely (new) - added it

Keely yeah, I totally agree. I don't really know what it is about this book, but you're right. Now I don't have to feel guilty about only giving it two stars!