Elysium's Reviews > Rivals of the Tudor Court

Rivals of the Tudor Court by D.L. Bogdan

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, historical, tudor, read-in-2011, for-review
Read in December, 2011

As a child Thomas was brought up to know the importance of the Howard family. He takes it to heart and makes advancing his family his life mission and soon his star is rising in the court of Henry VIII. His marriage to outspoken Elizabeth Stafford is nothing but peaceful and is made worse when Thomas supports his niece Anne to get more power for the family. Then Thomas finds Bess Holland, who is the very opposite of his wife.

I was very curious to read this book because I didn’t know that much about Thomas Howard as a person. And he really wasn’t likeable guy!

I knew he was firstly married to Anne Plantagenet but I didn’t know they had and lost four children. Their marriage seems to be a happy one but the loss of their children hardened him and made him fear losing the people he cared about.

Elizabeth Stafford wanted to marry another man and wasn’t happy when told to marry the much older Thomas Howard. She soon starts to care about him but he’s not easy man to live with and has short temper at times.

There were times, okay the whole book, when I just wanted to bang their heads together to get some sense! At first I felt like there was point made that every Howard man is evil and only thinks about power and the whole killing the dog thing. But I liked the relationship between Thomas and Anne and it was nice that he was happy for awhile.

And I really want to know if it’s true that Thomas ordered his servants to beat his wife? I mean seriously!

The book is told from 3 point of views: Thomas, Elizabeth and Bess. I liked Bess’s parts less because it was mostly Bess whining about Thomas being away or that she doesn’t have husband and children.

In the end it was entertaining book but I still feel it lacked it something. Or maybe Thomas annoyed me way to much…

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rivals of the Tudor Court.

11/30/2011 page 151
39.0% "I just wanna bang Thomas's and Elizabeth's heads together!"
12/01/2011 page 195
51.0% ""Two years, Bess has been beside me and still they fight over me like she-cats." And for the life of me I can't think how anyone would fight for you, Thomas!"