Lori's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

Nov 17, 2011

bookshelves: book-club
Read in November, 2013

This book pleased me, irritated me to death, moved me, bored me, and in one chapter, pulled my insides out. I often hate books in which each chapter takes the voice/POV of a different character, as this one does, especially when there are SO MANY different characters, as in this one. Not only that, but the characters are speaking at very different points in time, and on occasion it takes far too long in a chapter to finally figure out who is speaking, whose chapter it is. Sasha, the ostensible main character, gets several chapters of her own, and I nearly always loved hers. Jules' chapter made me hate him so much I almost quit reading. Rob, the broken young man whose chapter is written entirely in second person, absolutely broke my heart, and it was this chapter that redeemed the whole book for me. It was this chapter that made the shifting POVs and voices be OK. I'll read Rob's chapter again and again, and perhaps a couple of Sasha's chapters too.