Cindi's Reviews > The Long Way Home

The Long Way Home by Z.A. Maxfield

Nov 18, 11

bookshelves: m-m, z-a-maxfield
Read from November 17 to 18, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I will say first off that I really liked this book. I've become a fan of this author recently and I think this one may be one of the better of the books I've read.

The story was good. Boys are disappearing in California. Connor is a detective on the case. Kevin is a psychic who is also related to one of the officers involved in the investigation, Carl. Carl talks Kevin into helping out on the case so he flies to California (from Wyoming) and meets his "handler" Connor. Connor is a major skeptic (for reasons that come out in the book) and he is very unhappy about babysitting Kevin, who he considers to be a fraud.

What I liked about this book:

Watching Connor accept Kevin's gift and watching them as they fall in love. While it got frustrating at times, it was also refreshing. Real problems that were not immediately fixed.

There is an actual HEA in this book. From the books I've read by this author up until now, they usually end as more of a HFN. Connor and Kevin worked out their issues and the word "forever" was actually used.

Kevin finally got the respect he deserved for his gift.

The ending was priceless. I kept wondering when Connor was going to find out who Ana Wexler was. I love the way that was handled.

What I DID NOT like about this book:

Kevin confesses to Connor that something had happened (abuse) in his past. But yet it wasn't explained to the reader. I definitely did NOT want graphic details, but that particular paragraph looked like it was just thrown in...... for no reason, I might add. Who abused him? How old was he? Was the abuser caught? WHAT HAPPENED? Why even add that to the story? I kept reading thinking that more would come out about it but it didn't. Why bother putting it in the book? That was frustrating.

The killer. From the first sentence that I read that mentioned him, I knew he was the bad guy. Too predictable. There was basically no mystery as far as he was concerned.

Kevin is responsible for Connor's rescue after Daniel kidnapped him. We knew that was going to happen. Expected it to happen. And it did. Kevin saw Connor in the hospital, left and then came back. When he came back, he overhears Kevin talking to Andrew's parents. I get all that. It's obvious that Kevin is going to leave. You know he's going to, right? There had to be more drama at the end. But what happened after the decision outside of Connor's hospital room? It immediately went from Kevin telling Carl that he was going to leave Connor because he doesn't want to be the rebound guy since Connor is obviously still hung up on his dead lover to Kevin back in Wyoming MONTHS LATER. Was there not a fight when Kevin said he was leaving? What did Kevin say to Connor ABOUT LEAVING? What happened during the months they were apart? Sorry but certain things like that really annoy me.

I really liked this book, obviously, or I would not give it 4 stars. But as long as it was, I would have loved to see certain things explained better.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Way Home.