Christy (TheReaderBee)'s Reviews > Darker Still

Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber

2201617
I have read many, many raving reviews for Darker Still, so I finally decided to give it a read. The synopsis likens the book to Pride and Prejudice, which just happens to be one of my favorite reads. So I was really glad to finally get started on the book.

The main character in the story is a seventeen year old girl named Natalie Stewart. I found Natalie to be a very interesting character. Not only is she strong willed and ambitious, she’s also mute. I think that just makes her character even stronger, and shows just how determined she can be. She was quick to put people in their placed when they thought she was slow, because of her disability. I love the point where she discovers that she can journey into the painting with Lord Denbury. Oh, Lord Debury… What a gentleman you are! He definitely reminds me a little of someone that would be in an Austen novel.

I really enjoyed the secondary characters in the novel. Natalie’s dad and also Mrs. Northe, were both interesting to read about. I was curious about Crenfall and the painter as well, and was left with a few questions about them at the end of the book.

The plot of the story was really interesting. Imagine being trapped in a painting. Imagine having the ability to go through a painting. That’s definitely not something I’ve read about before. The book was a well paced, and was quite a quick read for me. I finished it in just a few hours time.

Overall, I found this book to be quite intriguing! I am so glad to discover it is going to be series read as well. I’m really looking forward to seeing where Natalie will take us next.

Happy Reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darker Still.