Shaheen's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Nov 17, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read in October, 2011

Read the full review here.

This book is exactly like reading about the Reality Show from Hell. It was gripping and enthralling, and I read it in one sitting. The story hooked me from the very first chapter, and I found myself getting more and more engrossed in Collin’s world the longer I read. In particular, once the Games had began it became impossible to put the book down because I felt so emotionally attached to Katniss and wanted to see her survive.

The descriptions of Katniss’ everyday life, family and friends set up the stakes very early on. Throughout the grueling events of the Game, it is clear to the reader what Katniss stands to lose if she does not survive. The deaths of the other participants are somewhat gruesome to read, but Collins handles the situation with delicacy and never fails to remind the reader that is it not acceptable for children to die in this manner. Katniss’ realisation that the Game simply allows for the murder of 23 children is a powerful one, as it brings to light the unfairness and brutality of the world she lives in. Collins is a masterful writer who knows how to spin a wonderful tale of survival in desperate conditions, while examining controversial issues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.