Tonya's Reviews > Cry, the Beloved Country

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton

1987120
Nov 16, 11

Beautiful story of redemption.

I admire authors who have the ability to comment on the depth and complexities of human relationships (all kinds...with other individuals, with cultures, with nature, with God) within the tight context of a story with relatively few words. The shorter the story, the fewer the words, the better the book and more profound the insights. ("A River Runs Through It" is the best example of this, in my opinion...this book is a close second.)

Paton accomplished just that feat in this story of Apartheid. He tells the story of South Africa through the experiences of two families; one black, one white. Both families suffer at the hands of the other, and both are eventually redeemed because of the other. He manages to highlight the fact that so many of the problems that individuals, families, cultures, entire countries face stem from misguided good intentions. My favorite quote: "But they were feeding an old man milk, and pretending that one day he would grow into a boy." I also appreciated all the biblical references, and learned a little bit more about what it means to "Wait upon the Lord."

So glad I read this!

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cry, the Beloved Country.